Wednesday, April 23, 2008

UTAH IS A WHITE STATE.....

So I get to work today bright and early 6:00 a.m. I am tring to make up time so when I come home in May I am not using any of my annual leave. Anyway back to the topic of why I am writing this from work. I get to the office and we have a person that visits our office once a month to just talk about issues if we have any. Kind of like a free shrink if you need to vent etc. So anyway I am at my desk working away and she comes over and sits at the chair by my desks and introduces her self etc. she asked me where I was from I told her I was born in Mexico but that I was raised in Utah. The next thing out of her mouth is "UTAH IS A PRETTY WHITE STATE!" I just kind of looked at her and she proceeded to say that she had been to Utah once for a wedding and felt very out of place because she was the only minority there. I just sat there stunned. I told her I had never had a problem or ever felt out of place no matter what state of the country I was at.

So Family and Friends what experiences have you had living in a white world and being maybe just a little brown or in some of our cases a lot of brown. CAN WE NOT JUST LOOK AT THE OUTWARD AND LOOK AT WHAT WE ALL HAVE TO OFFER FROM WITHIN. After all we all do bleed red don't we?

It reminded me of the time I got pink slipped out of Chemistry class in high school to go visit my Chicano counciler who informed me that if I ever was not prepared for a chemistry test he could always get me excused because after all I was the only Mexican in the class... As you all know my favorite thing to be called is CHICANO....NOT

1 comment:

AllisonK said...

It is very white, but we were raised in such a way that we did not notice the color or race. I think our "huge" family is unique in that way.

Withe the boys I have become acutely aware of the "whiteness", but it will gradually change.