Monday, April 7, 2008

Distrubance in the Hood!

You have all heard that New Orleans in the murder capital of the nation. Over Easter weekend, two days there were 10 shootings in the city. Kind of scary but I have never been scared in the hood.

I come home from work today and my normal routine is to turn on the TV just for background noise and I am reviewing emails and I hear on the news "Shooting on Josephine St and Laurel" I jumped up and ran to the TV and found that a person had been shot in his car. I was not sure where Laurel street was but it sounded familiar. I looked it up on Google mapped the location and found that it is about 5 blocks south of where I live. It sounded familiar because a couple of Sundays ago I decided to go for my normal Sunday Stroll and decided to head south because I wanted to check out some houses that I passed when I went to Wall Mart. I had mentioned to my friends at work the area I was walking and they all three just gave me this look like "ARE YOU CRAZY!" I could not figure out what the fuss was. I told them that I was walking around and felt fine and then decided to head back to my place. They told me that I was walking in an area that is called the Jackson Street Projects. They said it was not a very safe area to be walking around in. They made me promise I would not walk around in that hood area again. I told them I liked to walk on Sundays and so they gave me routs to take that were safer. Basically all of them told me to stay between Magazine Street and St Charles Street and that I could walk West to Audubon park and East to the Round about and I would be okay. Who knew.

The whole time I have been here I have never been scared or intimidated. I have been protected but I also have to do my due diligence and research a little bit better where I am going to walk before I head out. I love that I have gotten into the habit to walk to the stores and the restaurants if I decide to go out to eat. It is pretty therapeutic to walk and just think.

Here is to walking in safer areas and to be safe.... Say a prayer for Brianna and while you are at it pray for me as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would not tell your mom that story!!!! P.S. That thing we were talking about last week didn't happen
so I don't know anything more about that thing! do you know what I mean??? I will keep you posted OK Love ya stay in your house with the doors locked!!!!

Jessica said...

Your story reminds me of my mission. When ever we were tracting in Waco, everyone would yell at us for being in the scary part of town. I guess it didn't help that we lived across the streets from the projects either.

Be safe and say your prayers.