Sunday, April 20, 2008

Activities and some stuff

Just a few highlights of the past week,



I am back to baking on Sunday afternoons. My neighbors and my coworkers seem to like and enjoy the fruits of my labors. It does keep me out of trouble and by giving away the goods the temptation to eat them all by myself is gone....






I was out inspecting the levee system from the Bonne Carrie Spillway up to Baton Rough, 110 miles of levee system, when a coworker called to see if I was interested in going to the Hornets Playoff game. It was so much fun I really had a lot of fun.




I went to V-Day in hopes of seeing Oprah. It was good overall but I think I could have done with not hearing a couple of the monologues. Oprah was supposed to be there but at the end they announced that she was ill and unable to attend. It was a disappointment because I basically wanted to see her but oh well. It was a good evening of entertainment. I guess I am still into plan B of going up to see John and Karoyln when they move up to Chicago… do I have any takers to join me?



Levee inspection continues, the flood watch continues and thus it makes for very long days. When I go on Flood Fight (levee Inspection) it takes any where from 12-18 hour days. It is good only because I am trying to earn time so that when I go home in May I will not have to use any of my annual leave it will be good to go home.




I took some pictures of our levee inspection. Any day out in the field is a better day than a great day in the office. This was taken in the morning at the beginning of our inspection day it was about 6:30. The mighty Mississippi River can be very impressive. God has created a beautiful world for us to live in and enjoy.



This was taken about 1/2 way through our inspection it is a Church property, I think it is Jesuit but I was not sure. I just thought it was an awesome view with the trees and the manicured lawn.






The story goes that this is Patches house. This is a house that when the levee system was built was on the flood side of the levee. The owner was an older gentleman that was self sufficient. He lived off of what he could hunt and fish. When Katina was baring down on the area he did evacuate. He returned to his home and lived out the remainder of his life. He died shortly after returning but the story goes that this man was an incredible man he lived off the land. I thought it was a pretty cool house out on the Mississippi River it reminds me of Tom Sawyer.

Not to interesting of a post but I am just tired. More later.

2 comments:

AllisonK said...

I enjoyed reading your update. Love the Tom Sawyer place!

dusty kay said...

Its so green down there, its beautiful!!!