Sunday, April 5, 2009

TO BRADEN AND MASON

I have not posted in a very long time! I was on facebook this morning and read Braden Alba's thoughts on his Grandma Nancy S Alba. It brought many great memories and the many lessons she taught me. I thought I would share with Braden some of my memories of her here because I can't figure out how to post long messages on Facebook!

Please join me in sharing memories of Nancy with Braden and Mason!

Braden,
I have many fond memories of your grandma Nancy! I will share a few with you.
When I was young about 15 years old I loved going up to your grandparents house (my brother Sam and his beautiful wife Nancy). They would invite us up to their house for dinner. Nancy and Sam would make one of my favorite meals which consisted of London Broil grilled, Spinach Salad, and rice Pilaf. It was an awesome meal.
Here is the funny part, the first time I ever had this meal we were all gathered at the table eating first and seconds and sometimes even thirds on some of the items.
Nancy asked me "DO YOU LIKE SPINACH?"
I remember looking at her and saying 'NO PLEASE NEVER SERVE SPINACH WITH THIS MEAL IT WILL JUST SPOIL IT'
I remember her smiling at me and then smiling at Sam! I asked her at the time to please pass the salad because I was on my third serving of this delicious salad!
After dessert, because we always had dessert when I went to your Grandparents house Nancy very gently said told me that the salad I so enjoyed at dinner was a SPINIACH SALAD! I looked at here and said “NO! Spinach was this green globby looking thing that they served on school lunches. She said that was cooked spinach and that I had just had three servings of uncooked spinach! I GUESS I DO LIKE SPINIACH.
I remember driving in here Honda 4 door Accord with here and Brian and Matt in the back seat. We were going very fast because we were late to one of the boy's soccer games! I remember her telling me not to tell anyone how fast we were going. She just did not want the boys to be late for the game. I always loved the time I spent with her and I remember telling her that when I grew up and had a car I wanted it to be just like hers.
Birthdays were always something special. I always received money not just any old money! Money that she had ironed and made crisp! I loved receiving those cards. She always remembered special days.

Braden, these are just a few of the memories I have of your Grandma! She was a grand lady that always made me feel very special and most of all LOVED!

2 comments:

Jane said...

That was really sweet Nancy, I loved her alot too, one year I sent HER 2 crisp dollar bills and a stick of gum,that was what she always sent to my kids on their birthdays, she called me laughing and said that she was going on a trip with some friends and now she had some money to spend! She was alot of fun, I alwyas tell people she was just like Martha Stewart with her cooking and crafts. She would have loved all of her grandkids.

Anonymous said...

i love you both!!!!!!! thanks!!!!!!


from braden i dont have a blog.... haha so i had to put anonymous